Commentary on Matthew 3:10-12
Mat 3:10-12 NKJV And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
Two and Only Two
● Over and over and over again, the Scriptures tell us there are only two possible destinies for men: Heaven or hell; barn or burn.
● As stated elsewhere, God does not repeat Himself just because He likes to hear the sound of His own voice. No. God repeats Himself to emphasize the importance of something; and the more often something is repeated, the more important it is for us to pay attention.
● Some of the additional passages which teach that there are but two final ends, two types of people are the following:
Matthew 7:13-14————————- Wide Gate/Narrow Gate
Matthew 7:24-27————————- Wise/Foolish Builders
Matthew 12:30—————————- With/Against Christ
Matthew 13:38—————————- Sons of God/Sons of the Devil
Matthew 13:40-43———————– Burn/Shine
Matthew 25:1-13————————- In/Out
● The above (see related notes) are those found only in Matthew. There are a number of other similar passages in Scripture (some repeating Matthew) which also teach the principle that there are only two destinies possible, not one, not three or more, two. There is no Purgatory, no reincarnation, and no mandatory heaven for all.
● See also, 1st Corinthians 1:18; Exodus 8:23 (and note to same: “God’s Sovereignty in Election.”
1Co 1:18 NKJV For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1:18 The Message of the Cross
• “For the preaching of the cross is foolishness…”
Spiritual understanding of God and His works is rooted in faithful acceptance of the reality, fact, or truthfulness of those works, even without understanding of the actual mechanics involved in their completion or, a complete understanding of the “why” of them. That is why the preaching, [message] of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. They cannot accept by faith the truth of God and/or of His works because they cannot understand the mechanics of nor the necessity of them.
• Just as there are only two responses to the message of the cross:
Reject them as foolishness. Or, 2.) Embrace them as power for salvation. There are only two kinds of persons:
1.) Those who are perishing and 2.) Those who are being saved.
• There are only two kinds of people in the world – Lost and Saved!
• See also Matthew 3:12 and note: “Two and Only Two.”
Exo 8:23 NKJV I will make a difference between My people and your people. Tomorrow this sign shall be.” ‘ ”
8:23 GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY IN ELECTION
• By making a distinction between His people and the Egyptians, God is doing two things:
1. He is exercising His sovereignty over mankind in election of one people over another
2. He is teaching the spiritual truth that there are in fact only two kinds of people in the world – God’s people and the rest; saved/unsaved, elect/non-elect, sheep/goats, children of God/children of the devil. S
• See also Matthew 3:12 and note – “Two and Only Two.”